SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2001

From:
"J.M. Vitoux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:14:14 +1300
Krazy Kiwi wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 J.M. Vitoux <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Krazy Kiwi wrote:
> >> As for the Frogs ... they were not well liked in NZ for a while due
> >> to the bombing of a Greenpeace vessel where a journalist lost his
> >> life. The criminals caught were literally given a smack on the wrist
> >> by both countries .. in fact they were heroes in their homeland.
> >> Plus we were pretty pissed at them for their nuclear testing .. if
> >> they did it in their own backyard that would have suited us .. but
> >> that has all passed by now.
> >
> >You certainly didn't expect France to consider and treat them as
> >criminals. You had them and decided not to keep them. Your
> >problem...
>
> I dont see any ones unjustified death as something to glorify.

I didn't see any one glorifying it.

> As for their
> early release that was taken out of our hands .. we didnt "decide not to
> keep them" as you state. There was a lot of dirty tactics going on.
> Actually when we heard they were going to be released there was public
> outrage .. most wanted the death penalty (unfortunately no longer available
> due to government stupidity!)

How you would even consider applying the death penalty based on a
manslaughter conviction beats me. It is maybe OK in your country,
not in mine.

> >Mafart and Prieur are not considered heroes. They failed to
> >properly execute their mission and got caught.
>
> The newspapers were full of it both in NZ & in France. The French
> government was falling over backwards sending M & P crates of their best
> wine & food for them to dine on while in prison. The best legal team, lots
> of creature comforts etc.

Again, what did you expect. They were sent on a mission by the
French Government. The least you would expect is said Goverment
to do its best for them. NZ allowed it. Your problem...

> Yes, funny how sleeply ol NZ managed to catch those who were meant to be
> their best.

I assure you that sleepy ol NZ can't be given much credit for
their arrest.

Jean-Marc