SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:25:21 -0400

That reminded me what I wrote recently about "Into the Deep":

> This is a special week at the Choo Choo Aquarium.  The IMAX theatre is
> showing 6 or 7 different aquatic film every DAY, including "Into the
> Deep" (3D), "Galapagos" (3D), "The Living Sea", "Island of Sharks",
> "Whale", "Dolphins".  I think I've seen all of them except "Into the
> Deep" but I wasn't there at the right time, so even though I have free
> passes to the theature, I haven't found TIME to watch any of them.  ;-)

I was thinking "Into the Deep" was some documentary about going down
into the Pacific trenches.  Then the Trumpetfish mentioned kelp
forest and Girabaldi in "Into the Deep" which immediately reminded
me that it was the best Howard Hall film (in 3-D no less) that I've
seen!  In the kelp forest of California -- it took him four years
to make that one.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again, and again, even
though it wasn't THE "Deep".  :-)

So, I've seen all those IMAX films.  All excellent.

>It is powered by a cable
>attached to a mother ship & is capable of remaining uw for far longer
>periods than battery powered vessels. It can carry 7 sailors at one time to
>the surface with each dive expected to take up to 2 hours.
>
>Will be interesting to see how successful this exercise is as it is the
>most complex peacetime exercise ever undertaken by the navy of late.
>Viv

Me too.  :0)  Keep us posted.

-- Bob.