HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:55:00 -0800
Re:
> To clarify, your status field can be defined thus
>
> 5       LIGP-ERROR                      PIC S9(9) COMP SYNC.
> 5       FILLER REDEFINES LIGP-ERROR.
> 7         LIGP-ERROR-1                  PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
> 7         LIGP-ERROR-2                  PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.

My point is that you don't need, and usually don't want, to
know about the two component parts of the "HPE_STATUS" value
(the 32-bit status returned by HPCIxxxVAR).  Simply treating
it as a 32-bit integer is fine.

If you *did* want to see the component parts, use:

   LIGP-STATUS                      PIC S9(9) COMP SYNC.
   FILLER REDEFINES LIGP-ERROR.
      LIGP-INFO                     PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
      LIGP-SUBSYS                   PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
*    INFO < 0 means error, INFO = 0 means ok, INFO > 0 means warning

As Tony pointed out, for calls to HPCIxxxVAR, the subsystem
number returned will almost always be 0 or 2 (0 for no err/no warn,
and 2 for CI errors/warnings).  However, I'd almost never use
that knowledge.  What you want to know is: did the intrinsic
return an error (status < 0), a warning (status > 0), or "ok"
(status = 0).  In the first two cases, you have to decide: do you
want to generate a nice error message?  If so, you need to use
HPERRMSG, passing it the full 32-bit status.

I defined the extra "ALTSTATUS" to hold the status returned
by HPERRMSG:
>    01 ALTSTATUS PIC S9(9) COMP.

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler