HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:01:33 -0800
It is my understanding that if you use Suprtool to serially
read an entire data set (or use Cobol for that matter)
that the entire data set is going to be transferred to memory.

Once it is in memory, other programs may fight for memory can
cause some swapping. Not much you can do about that besides
add more memory.

I use Suprtool and Netbase, and am not sure why one affects the other
as you state. I do run lots of Suprtool extracts on the shadowed copy
of data to reduce the load on the production machine.

The prefetch of Suprtool may add additional memory pressure
if done to an extreme, so turning it down or off may
help your situation (or may just make the Suprtool part run longer.)
Of course what you are trying to avoid is to pre-fetch so much
data that it get swapped back out before it is processed by Suprtool.

If you are running multiple active jobs at the same time then
you might try scheduling them one at a time, so they don't
fight over the limited memory. Fortunately, memory is pretty cheap
these days, especially for used or third party memory. Add another
gigabyte or two and see how that helps things.