HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:27:47 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
If you use set labels with expirations dates on your file equations,
FILE T;DEV=7;LABEL="!HPJOBNAME",ANS,!HPMONTH/!HPDATE/![(HPYYYY+2)]
then STORE will require an operator reply before overwriting the tape. Of
course, different retention periods would require a bit of scripting. And
newer versions of MPE give you better options for date logic.

I guess you pick your preferred failure, and go with it. Would you rather
overwrite last night's tape, or would you rather worry over the wrong tape
being in the drive waiting for a reply? We left our network stopped but not
aborted during the backup, and had dialup modems available. So manager.sys
could always get back on and address whichever error one was willing to see.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com