HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:07:12 -0800
Well, I know that they (LockMart) have converted a lot to PeopleSoft, and
a lot more will be going to SAP (<danger! danger!>.

There are a lot of apps, some of which serve multiple divisions, that don't
have a planned home and, last time I talked to the people in the decision
loop for one large 3K (December 2000) we were talking about at least getting
the data off the 3K but retaining the apps there. Just exploring possibilities.
That's why you saw me posting a while back about accessing ORACLE on NT
from Speedware on the 3K (yes, it can be done.)

Main concern at that time was that the disc drives are failing at a steady
rate, and there's no budget for a modern disc array.  NT and SOLARIS servers
are available and their storage is perceived as a lot cheaper.  Since the
apps we are concerned with are almost completely Speedware, there are a
number of platform migration approaches that could work without re-writing
everything.

It is rumored that one set of apps (one business function) has plans to
migrate off the HP3K, but the other large HP3K business function had no
definite plans to leave MPE behind. They don't have the people or the budget
to rewrite it or buy new hardware, anyway.

-dtd

--
iWon <http://www.iwon.com/> - Voted the #1 portal on the Web!