HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:05:46 -0800
Absolutely. I've been using a technique for years that has worked well.
Below, find a job I use on one system. It is streamed by the backup job to
start at 11:00am the next day. Basically, it does a showdev to a file,
parses the output and if tapes are not loaded it

- does several tell commands to various users including the console
- uses Telamon's mail program to send a message to the Help Desk
- streams itself to run again in 10 minutes

Note that the actual "tell" commands have embedded control codes to switch
to blinking inverse video (really gets your attention). Also, the "IF
MOUNTED = 0" can be adjusted for multiple tape drives. For example, one
system has 5 drives, so the line is changed to "IF MOUNTED < 5".

<GENE: JPB,MGR.SYSADMIN,PUB> FRI, MAR 23, 2001  10:50 AM  </SYSADMIN/PUB>
[1]:type ddswarn.jobs.sys
!JOB DDSWARN,OPERATOR.SYS;HIPRI
!FILE TAPEDEV;MSG
!SHOWDEV TAPE > *TAPEDEV
!SETVAR MOUNTED,0
!WHILE (FINFO('TAPEDEV','EOF')) > 0 DO
!  INPUT MYVAR < TAPEDEV
!  IF POS('(Nolabel)',MYVAR) > 0
!    SETVAR MOUNTED,MOUNTED+1
!  ENDIF
!ENDWHILE
!PURGE TAPEDEV,TEMP > $NULL
!DELETEVAR MYVAR
!RESET TAPEDEV
!IF MOUNTED = 0
!  TELL MGR.SYSADMIN;**********************************************
!  TELL MGR.SYSADMIN;(gene) MAKE SURE THE BACKUP DDS TAPE IS LOADED
!  TELL MGR.SYSADMIN;**********************************************
!  TELL operator.sys;**********************************************
!  TELL operator.sys;(gene) MAKE SURE THE BACKUP DDS TAPE IS LOADED
!  tellop (gene) MAKE SURE THE BACKUP DDS TAPE IS LOADED
!  STREAM DDSWARN.JOBS.SYS;IN=,,10
!  setvar pcmailserver,"HERMES"
!  pcbpmail.pub.system [log in to unmask],,"Change Tapes",tchg
!ENDIF
!SET STDLIST=DELETE
!EOJ