HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Robert Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:32:19 -0600
Folks,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this, because thus far HP support
hasn't got me very far. I have a new 939 system to replace an old 918
server, and my users require me to load 5.5 onto it (the new server came
with 6.5). The first panic occured when I found the one 5.5 SLT I
thought I had turned out to be bad, and I discovered a) my users *need*
it to be 5.5 and can't take the upgrade to 6.5 and b) HP can't (won't)
provide me with a new 5.5 SLT because it is no longer supported. I did a
thorough search and finally managed to find a working 5.5 SLT in my
office. I thought I was back in the game, but while I got to the ISL
prompt with the new tape, it gagged both when trying to do an update and
an install from this tape, with some error regarding writing to the
master disk. I've since done an install from the factory 6.5 SLT that
came with the system which worked, so the problem doesn't seem to be
with the hardware. I have been thinking maybe I need an SLT created for
a 939 server, but I have no idea how to get one if HP will not provide
one. Does anyone have any suggestions?