HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:50:14 -0500
Ron Seybold wrote:

> Hello Friends:
[snip]

> Lockheed Martin is a big company, with lots of operations and many
> more HP 3000s running elsewhere. The point of our article was to show
> how 9x7 managers were reacting to the A-Class offerings being
> positioned as replacements for their systems. In this case, it looks
> to me like any 3000 offering that required a capital outlay would
> have been cause to decommission the 957, since it's got an April 2002
> end of supported life.

But, there is always a cost to moving an application to another
host.  Even with underutilized alternative hosts available (which
just means somebody had been wasting money).  A good cost/benefit
analysis should include the A class offering as an alternative and
the costs of migration included in the analysis.

> There are other ways to go with 9x7s. Several third party firms are
> promising to support these boxes beyond April of next year.
>
> Of course, once they do that, I believe those systems essentially
> disappear from the 3000 community's revenue channel, except for the
> support fees paid to the third parties. If you can't get funding to
> replace a system, it seems unlikely you'll get budget to buy software
> tools or new applications. But I prepare myself to be corrected on
> that last item.

However, you can bet that there will be cases where they *can* get
funding to buy an Oracle/SQLserver Unix/NT/Windows application to
replace the e3000 one.  Now the real question is why that is and what
we and HP/CSY can do about it.

Richard

> --
>
> Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
> The 3000 NewsWire
> Independent Information to Maximize Your HP 3000
> http://www.3000newswire.com

Richard L Gambrell, Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
103 Hunter Hall, Department Code 4454
615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
voice mail/cell phone: 423-432-5122
private e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UTC fax: 423-755-4150
UTC phone: 423-755-4551