HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Evan Vaala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evan Vaala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:34:15 -0600
Wirt Atmar wrote:

> If I ever do this, as pre-homework, you must first read Nietchze's "Also
> Sprach Zarathustra" and listen intently to Richard Strauss's lyric tone poem
> by the same name, which was loosely based on Nietchze's work. "2001" is the
> Zarathustra story, retold in a third idiom, but this time by Stanley Kubrick
> and Arthur C. Clarke.

Wirt,

With all due respect, I must state that the base of my existence can pretty much
be summed up using the "MPE/iX Quick Reference Guide", and the the "HP FORTRAN
77/iX Reference" - more specifically the $FTN3000_66 and $HP3000_16 compiler
directives :-)

However, I am keeping an open mind with respect to the philosophies behind
J2EE.  Some of J2EE's roots can be traced back to SGML.  It gets scary...

Please - No flames from any of you COBOL types that are out there! :-)

Also, with respect to COBOL, that story about recording "The Book of Genesis"
onto some form of recording media, in Latin, and then playing it backwards - You
are suppose to the be able to hear the word COBOL spoken over 30 times.  It
turned out to be just false hope...  Sorry...

Evan "Speaking way over my head" Vaala