HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:39:20 -0600
Hello Friends:

Given the extra interest in Lockheed Martin moving its 957 out, I
thought I'd include a few extra details on the situation, as well as
comment or two.

The site is in Orlando, Fla. and the Unix systems which are in line
to step in for the 3000 are HP's. This is an example of the kind of
attrition that is acceptable to HP, since HP's Unix systems are
stepping in for the 3000. Whether it's acceptible to the customer is
the next question, since the IS coordinator has a different opinion
than his management.

Lockheed Martin is a big company, with lots of operations and many
more HP 3000s running elsewhere. The point of our article was to show
how 9x7 managers were reacting to the A-Class offerings being
positioned as replacements for their systems. In this case, it looks
to me like any 3000 offering that required a capital outlay would
have been cause to decommission the 957, since it's got an April 2002
end of supported life.

There are other ways to go with 9x7s. Several third party firms are
promising to support these boxes beyond April of next year.

Of course, once they do that, I believe those systems essentially
disappear from the 3000 community's revenue channel, except for the
support fees paid to the third parties. If you can't get funding to
replace a system, it seems unlikely you'll get budget to buy software
tools or new applications. But I prepare myself to be corrected on
that last item.

--

Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
The 3000 NewsWire