HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:33:39 -0800
I must protest in the strongest terms possible about the article referenced below.

"But Jerry Benson, a community leader who supports DeHart, said the science teacher was only doing what educators should be doing: stimulating students to think critically."

Absolutely not! Educators are there to insure the socialization of students and teach them that it is *ABSOLUTELY WRONG* to question the establishment in any way, to prepare them for the realities of later corporate life in a misfortune 500 company!

In my opinion, any teacher stimulating students to think critically is doing them a great disservice, making them social pariahs and outcasts for the rest of their lives and WORSE! It will be on their permanent record forever!

It offers absolutely no evolutionary advantage for the survival of the fatest!

For shame!

And one more thing: We need to insure even lower vocabulary levels among students so no one will ever feel threatened by someone who seems to be smarter than they are! Ten thousand words is far too many for a fourteen year-old! What will they do with all those words, anyway?!

Mediocrity is the best policy!

+Member of the Society for the Prevention of Intellectually Exceptional Students (SPIES).
+Motto: Why should anyone be better than anyone else?!
Jim Phillips wrote:
>>> Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]> 03/26 7:24 AM >>>
http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20010325/t000025850.html

<snip>