HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:52:00 +1100
While not trying to detract from Kittinger's remarkable feats (and life so far, for that matter),  Rodd Millner's attempt is not without its own unique challenges.  Down here, Rodd has probably had much more 'airtime' on radio and tv, and I'm struck more by how similar the character and background of these two seem. In any case, 40 kms is a heck of a fall!  Perhaps it takes 'that' type of man to do these things.  Amazing.

BTW, I believe we already have a couple of Australians 'Austranauts'. Paul Scully-Power is probably the most well-known here. Andy Thomas is the other.  And you could count Philip Chapman as an 'Apollonaut' except they cut the program before he got a flight.

Jim Wowchuk                       [log in to unmask]
Vanguard Computer Services P/L
 _--_|\                           Post:  PO Box 18
/      \                                 North Ryde NSW 1670
\_.--._/ <---Sydney NSW           Phone: +61 (2) 9888-9688
      v      Australia            Fax:   +61 (2) 9888-3056

> Date:    Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:00:28 -0600
> From:    Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Highest Skydive Ever
>
> You night want to read about Joe Kittinger.  He did all this in 1960.
[snip...]