HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Chance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Chance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:31:04 -0800
I am seeking HP3000 tele-commute,

"OR" contract/consulting in Oh, Fl, (any duration)

"OR" perm in Fl.

4/2/2001 availability!!!

Resume'.......(MS Word formatted version also available
upon your request)

JAMES D. CHANCE         [log in to unmask]
„Y 1031 THOMAS DRIVE ASHLAND, OHIO 44805
(419)-289-9006 (H)

ability to use communication skills to sell innovative
proposals to management and provide data and analyses to
support company plans and objectives. Held titles of:
Programmer, Programmer Analyst, Project Leader, Systems
Analyst, Consultant and Department Manager. Cradle to grave
support. Awareness of time to meet deadlines. A keen sense
for low operating costs and total customer satisfaction.
Strong and continuos experience with HP3000, COBOL, and
manufacturing since 1987. Strategically placed self
competitively in the marketplace by acquiring unique skills
and knowledge above the norm with p/c hardware and
software; contrary to the history of my primary
responsibilities being application development and system
management in the midrange/mainframe arenas.

Work Experience: Self-employed Independent Consultant.
Company: Practical Technology Solutions.8/00-present.
Client during this period: NorthTech, Ann Arbor MI. Mr. Tom
Brandt.
Orian Corp. ¡Vrug manufacture. Responsible for rewriting
the Invoicing system to improve Orian costing measures.
Hardware: HP3000 (928)
Software: TurboImage, Windows apps, Qedit, Suprtool,
Adager, Whisper, Dbgenrl, FTP.

Work Experience: Comsys formerly Cotelligent Inc.
Consulting firm. Cleveland, OH 9/97-8/00.
Title: Senior Consultant. Client: Invacare Corp. Elyria,
OH. Sales = 900mil +. Healthcare Manufacturer. .I/S Dept. =
80 persons. 1000 users. 15+ remote sites.
scripts/crons/shells/menus for interfacing a new Oracle
based Warehouse/Distribution Management System called
MOVE/Optum with legacy HP systems/applications. Migration
from HP to Oracle. Direct other consultants. RF-Telxon
support. Implementation management. 12 GEM awards (Going
the Extra Mile). Infrastructure team member. Receive user
issues-analyze-resolve and/or phone in issue w/ vendor.
Hardware: HP3000 Corporate systems (969-200, 987-200,
997-800, 989-650), HP-Windows NT, UNIX IBM AIX RS6000
Software: Lotus Notes, pcANYWHERE, Windows apps, Qedit,
suprtool, Dbgenrl, sqlplus, Optum systems: MOVE, Metasys.
NT O.S.-tasks-services, Mpex, Dmsrobot, Stat, crons,
scripts, vi, socket-to-socket, Oracle SID-Home, env, grep,
FTP, tnsnames, Bakco, Satcom, Librarian.

Work Experience: F.E. Myers. Ashland, OH 7/96-9/97. Sales =
150mil +. Pumps
Title: Systems Analyst. I/S Dept. = 9 persons. 230+ users.
inefficiencies. Interact with users at all levels. Compose,
design, develop, code, test, implement, train, document new
and existing mission critical COBOL CICS systems.
Prioritize projects. Communications administrator: Nortel
phone system. Investigate users issues - research options -
implement solutions. Flexibility to handle multiple
concurrent tasks and frequent interruptions. Year2000 for
the hourly payroll system.
Hardware: IBM ES9000 mainframe system. Terminals & P/C¡¦s.
Software: COBOL CICS, FAQS, Source/CMS, Novell LAN, Windows
95, Personal  Comm.

Work Experience: Luk Inc. Wooster, OH 5/95-6/96. Sales =
200mil +. Automotive clutch/discs.
Title: Systems Analyst. I/S Dept. = 8 persons. 175 + users.

Micro Maintenance, PC-DNC, DataMax 4thGL report writer on
the VAX, PV, QS, and WST.
Hardware: VAX, IBM AS400, Windows NT network, Compaq
P/C¡¦s, various printers.
Software: Shopkeeper, OpenVMS, Supplytech, DataMax,
Microsoft Access, Bar Coding, WFW.

Work Experience: Astro Metallurgical Inc. Wooster, OH
9/89-4/95. Sales = 15mil +. Metals
Title: Information Systems Manager. Supervised 1 1/2
persons. 50 users. Administrator.
activities. Hands-on management. Select and recommend for
purchase new software and hardware for enterprise business
systems and personal computers. Department & capital
budgets. Interpret trend differences. Perform numerous
System management activities such as: Operating System
installs updates; configure ports, identify performance
issues and remedy, and system security. Personal Computer
team leader and policy maker. Manage year-end activities.
Administrate phone system: AT&T 25. Que programming
requests. Submit enhancements, and bugs to the Jobscope
help desk. Develop and maintain all new and existing COBOL,
Quiz, and Suprtool applications. Install P/C software.
Vendor and third party software negotiations.
Hardware: HP3000 Series 48, 935, 937.
Software: Jobscope, MPEXL, Dbgeneral, Suprtool, Qedit,
COBOL, Full Powerhouse: Quiz, Quick, QTP; Orbit, Editor,
Query, View, TurboImage/XL, Cobedit, Quad, NMMGR, Sysdiag,
Termdsm, Sysgen, Dbutil, Image/ SQL, Information Access,
numerous Interex programs.

Work Experience: American Steel & Wire , Cleveland, OH
10/87-9/89. Sales = 150mil+. Mill
Title: Project Leader for Finance and Purchasing systems.
I/S Dept. = 8 persons. 100 users.
all levels. Design, Develop, Code, Test, Implement, Train
and maintain new and existing systems. Prioritize projects.

Hardware: HP3000 Series Micro, 58, 925.
Software: MAP3000, Dbgeneral, Suprtool, Qedit, COBOL, Quad,
Powerhouse.

Work Experience: Artesian Industries. Mansfield, OH
9/87-10/87. Plumbing products
Title: Computer Operator. HP3000.  I/S Dept. = 7 persons.
outfences/limits. Label/mount tapes.

Work Experience: Hydr-o-matic Pumps. Ashland, OH 7/77-
9/87. Pump manufacturer.
Title: CNC Machinist. Operate various machine shop
equipment, 6 axis machine centers.

Professional Education:
- QS9000 Auditor                - Delivery team processes       - OpenVMS for
programmers
- Qedit and Suprtool sessions.  - Novell (2 Intro.¡¦s)          -
Franklin planner seminar
- Seven Jobscope courses        - Identifying & fixing PC
problems        - Speedware
- Microsoft Applications of: Project, Word, Excel, Data
Access          - ARIS
- COBOL CICS Application programming I & II. CICS
troubleshooting         - EDI, Supplytech
- Hewlett Packard: From MPEV to MPEXL-Programmers, Advanced
IMAGE, System Mgmt

College Education:
„³ Currently enrolled at Ashland University, Junior
ranking, pursuing a BSBA in Business Management to
supplement my current 2 year technical degree and
rich/diverse experience.
„³ North Central Technical College, Mansfield, Ohio.
Associate in Applied Business in Computer Information
Systems/Business Programming, 6/87. GPA: 3.8. Core courses
GPA: 3.9. 100% Self supported tuition. Worked 48 hrs per
week while attending. HP3000 hardware.

Personal Skills:
ƒx Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Self-starter, Persistent. Determined. Logical. Diligent.
Dedicated. Loyal. Patient. Open minded. Goal oriented.
Structured. Stick-to-itiveness. Leader. Very strong
organizational skills. Responsible with follow-up.
ƒx Unique personal ability to interact/understand and
analyze various issues with users from the President to the
shop floor. Evaluation skills to determine alternate
courses of action in a project, just results, or in
appraising performance.
ƒx Ability to handle confidential payroll, cost and
profitability data.
ƒx Activities:  Soccer playing/coaching, Chess, Reading,
Tennis, Home remodeling, music.

Professional Achievements:
- Employee of the Month numerous times                  -
Re-engineering member
- Significant methods implemented to reduce operations time
- Novell Lite 10 user LAN
- Heat Tracking and Inventory Control Systems
- 3 solo Powerhouse upgrades
- No/Low cost implementation of improved performance
changes  - P/C¡¦s since 1985
- Jobscope system enhancement board member (1) year             -
Reduction in costs w/ forms
- Solo computer conversion from HP3000-48 to HP3000-937
- Decentralized printing benefits
- Hewlett Packard Users Group Interex member since 1993 -
Manufacturing upgrades
- Experience with setting up enhanced security measures         -
Five solo HP3000 O.S.upgrades
- Strategic implementation member with Oracle Warehouse
Management System at 5 distribution centers
- AIX/UNIX Infrastructure team member

Professional References:
Tom Brandt       Northtech Supervisor,   Project Mgr.,       Ann
Arbor         MI  800-590-7654
Cheryl Drol       Invacare Supervisor,  Project Mgr.,
Elyria,               OH  440-329-6725
John Nelson       Invacare,             Consultant,       Elyria,
   OH  440-937-4202
Richard Lidemeyer Invacare,             Consultant,       Medina,
    OH  216-887-5363
Mike Pryszlak     Invacare,             Consultant,       Broadview Hts., OH
 216-526-1454
Jim Schwinn       Luk Inc.,                     MIS Mgr.,
Wooster,                   OH  330-287-7206
Chris Guntharp    Luk Inc.,                     Network Adm.,
Wooster,           OH  330-264-4383

Attachments: Letters of recommendation.

June 9, 2000

To Whom It May Concern:

Please accept this letter of recommendation for Jim Chance.
 Jim has been an asset to us here at Cotelligent for nearly
three years now.   His level of service and dedication are
of the highest value.

Jim has been an outstanding consultant with us and has done
a tremendous job with our client.  Jim has gone above and
beyond expectations to meet and exceed deadlines,
troubleshooting complex systems, assisting other team
members and providing excellent problem resolution.  Jim
also shows strong management skills and handles multiple
tasks with great manageability.

Over the course of my experience with Jim, he has always
been able to maintain a high degree of professionalism
while being able to communicate effectively with
management, users and clients.   He functions well either
in a team environment or working independently.

I truly value and respect Jim¡¦s talents, qualifications
and dedication of excellence that he provides.   It has
been a pleasure to have Jim on staff with us and for myself
to rely on his work with minimal supervision.

Sincerely,

Mark Kavinsky
Consulting Staff Manager
Cotelligent Cleveland

Cheryl Drol
899 Cleveland Street
Elyria OH 44035
March 13, 2001
To Whom It May Concern:
Jim Chance has been working on a Distribution System
Implementation project for Invacare Corporation for almost
3 years.  He has always been very detailed and
professional.   Jim has willingly worked on any project or
task assigned to him.  He has done a thorough job on
testing and installations.  I always feel I can count on
Jim to complete his tasks on time and correctly.

Jim's background was HP3000 when he started on the project
team.  He has learned Unix, SQL and has been exposed to
Oracle databases while on the project. He has handled all
assignments professionally and was always looking out for
Invacare's best interest.

Jim has many strengths including an ability to learn
quickly!  Flexibility and willingness to help with issues
are another.  He has always been a team player and does his
share of the tasks and assists others when necessary.

I think Jim is an outstanding individual and a hard-worker.
 He is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
 He would be an excellent addition to any company!

Please feel free to contact me at any time if I can provide
further information..

Sincerely,
Cheryl Drol
Project Manager
440-329-6725, 440-984-2694(Home)

=====
Practical Technology Solutions
Jim Chance, CEO/President
1031 Thomas Drive
Ashland, Ohio 44805
Voice: 419-289-9006 Fax: 419-289-0976
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"A provider of premium and practical HP3000 solutions. Services specializing in COBOL, Qedit, Suprtool, Powerhouse, Management, and operations consultations."