HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:47:39 -0800
Denys Beauchemin wrote:
> California, the state that prides itself on having the sixth largest economy in
> the world, now generates less electricity per capita than any other state in
> the Union.  What is dangerous here is that other states are being forced to
> sell some of their reserves to California.  Because of California's lack of
> reality, other states could get hurt.

A fact often omitted from discussions of the California situation is that we
rank 48th per capita in terms of energy consumption.  So while our disasterous
attempt at electricity deregulation is an example to avoid, our levels of
conservation is an example to be emulated.

If everybody used the same per capita amount of energy as California, there
wouldn't be pressure to destroy the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (which is
irrelevant to the California situation anyway since California does not
generate electricity from oil), and we'd be a whole lot less dependent on
foreign energy supplies.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...