HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
"Born, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Born, Ken
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:57:28 -0600
Greetings,
I am having trouble determining how to setup the naming conventions for my
users email on the HP3000.
My Goal for user email naming convention would be [log in to unmask]
where BORN is USER-ID and 201 is DEPARTMENT-ID.

To establish user uniqueness in my database is composed of a USER-ID and
DEPARTMENT-ID.  The data in USER-ID can be 1 to 6 characters long and can
contain all numbers.  DEPARTMENT-ID contains all numbers.

Since USER-ID can contain all numbers, I cannot create a newuser under MPE
because it would violate the "First character needs to be alphabetic" rule.

Since DEPARTMENT-ID contains only numbers, I cannot create a new account
under MPE because it would violate the "First character needs to be
alphabetic" rule.

So, I was wondering two things:
First, can I create a user email under UNIX where I could side step the
above restrictions?  or
Second, can I somehow use aliases to side step the above like BORN.201 is
actually  a username that works with the above restrictions?

I like to keep everything in the SENDMAIL account and not create hundreds of
separate department accounts.

Thanks...

SET NAME:
   USERS,MANUAL

      ITEMS:
         USER-NO,              I2            <<KEY ITEM>>
         USER-ID,              U6
         USER-NAME,            U20
         PASSWORD,             X8
         LOCATTR,              I2