SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:21:34 -0500
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 David Strike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As an aside:  Last night, Sylvia and I went to the cinema to
>see, "Men Of Honour".

I finally squeezed in time to see this flick after last nights Cottesloe
Reef Photo Comp.  I enjoyed the film so much I am actually going to
organise a group booking at a time suitable for others in my group - the
WAUParians.

>I 'phoned Viv this evening to tell her about Bill Fitz's encounter
>with Carl Brashear, (who was in Sydney for the premiere), last week
>- but I promised not to say anything about the movie until after
>she's seen it! :-)

Well Darls .. as ya commented .. their dive gear was *new*. Having only
seen one suit in real life, at my favourite Perth restaurant of all
places.. I did feel for the man when he had to get up for his 12 steps.
I will try not to give too much of the movie away incase others want to see
it now.

Even tho that sort of diving doesnt appeal to me as a career path (I
probably wouldnt have been able to lift my tootsie off the seafloor once I
hit the bottom in those clunckers ;-)) I sorta got an adrenlalin rush
watching the learning process. Teamwork!!

Based on a true story I am sure the racisim was far worse than shown .. but
glad Carl had the balls to fight for his dream. The actors chosen were spot
on in their roles! Robert De Niro is absolutely fantastic & should get an
oscar as he really carried his part well.  In a life & death situation I
would want him on my side :-)

As for faults ... seriously doubt a submarine of that size could be
casually skimming above where it was ;-) Of course being a movie who knows
what the real story actually was. I doubt the sub just suddenly turned up
outa nowhere that close in to Carl... or they had shocking radar in those
days!

Having Carl's lines jerked up & down in the sub incident scene was .. was..
too much to swallow ;-)  Also, somehow some of the facts have really been
twisted to sell the movie ie the location of that certain item was found by
a certain something else.

OOoooOO I hate talking in code .. but doan want to spoil it if others would
like to see the movie now. Im going back to *take-in* some of the details I
just skimmed over as I was mainly concentrating on the Robert & Cuba.
Viv