SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 06:39:11 -0600
On 5 Mar 2001, at 17:39, David Strike wrote:

> On Monday, March 05, 2001 4:32 PM, Mike wrote:
>
> > I have posted some of the pics from our recent vehicle recovery
> > efforts at
> > http://community.webshots.com/album/10841997hCgLokBNtZ if
> > anyone is interested.
>
> G'Day, Mike!  Great pics, mate!  How long did the job take?  (And having
> enjoyed your input to the lists over the past x years, its good to see what
> you look like.)  :-)
>
> Strike

Hola Amigo...

Took most of the day. We had already located the vehicles on a
previous trip to this particular dumping ground. When got there it
was just a matter of dropping down and putting some buoys on
them and chaining them up for the wrecker to pull them out. Then it
was a couple hour wait for him to get there.

We did a little more searching in the meantime but did not come
up with anything else...

What got us out there in the first place was a case where two men
abducted a man of about 50 and his late 70's mother. They beat
the man to death and tied up the mother with duct tape and put
them both in the back of van and tried to dump it in the quarry.
They placed the woman in the van first and dumped her son's body
on top of her. When they dumped the van the front half of it
submerged but caught on a large rock. They left but came back
several times that day and night and tried to push it on in. All this
time, this poor lady was strugglin' to stay alive in the back of the
van under the weight of her son. The next morning a local saw the
van and called the police. While they were searching the van, they
did not realize that this woman was in there, let alone still alive.
She did know it was the police, thinking it was the two scums back
to finish the job so she was playing dead. When the police finally
got the coroner to the scene a couple hours later, he found the
lady, still alive.

One of the two bad guys was killed a couple months later and the
other is in jail, waiting his trial in May. There is apparently another
man missing that the police think was assocated with these two.
Part of what we were doing was looking for him and also some
other vehicles that these two are suspected of stealing and
dumping. The reason that they picked the man and his mother is
that they heard that the man did not trust banks was known to
keep large sums of cash on him, a story that was not true.