SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Confucio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 02:19:15 -0500
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:26:17 -0500, Reef Fish
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At least this time Giovanni's comment is not COMPLETE nonsense.  :-)

Who is Giovanni? ;-)

>No, it does NOT know when you're feeling more fatigue, but it
>DOES have some monitoring function of your breathing rate,
>some abbreviated it as BP (for Breathing Parameter).  Unfortunately,
>the AI computers I have used did not have a good explanation of
>what this BP is, to the extent you can UNDERSTAND what it is
>measuring or what good is that info.
>
>Giovanni's  BP shows a sudden increase.  Was he fatigued or
>did he just see a naked mermaid and was just doing some
>heavy breathing as a result of it?  Do heavy breathing induced
>by seeing naked divers contribute to DCS?   Where was the
>research on this done or published?  :-)

I suspect you have used the wrong AI computers.
May be an abacus-based one? ;-)
In every case if your breathing rate is increasing you are
doing an increasing physical activity no matter the
cause of it. It has as a conseguence an increase in nitrogen
accumulation in the tissues, an increase in the microbubble
formation,etc. so that the diver is more exposed to be bent.

>They have an extra VALUE alright, but if you don't know what
>that value IS or what it means, then it's just another
>GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) kind of diagnosis.

You haven't to know how your stomach work. You have
only to know that eating too much may be dangerous.
In the same way if you are breathing too much you can
be bent. It's simply "useful data in, safety out".

Confucio