SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:51:40 +1100
On Thursday, March 22, 2001 10:31 AM, Lee Bell wrote:

(huge snip)
> Personally, I think EPIRBs would be a good idea for pretty much any diving
> where someone might get separated from their boat.  Recent reports of such
> separations  in Florida, Australia (at least a couple in the last year or
> so), and Cozumel all suggest an EPIRB might be a good safety device to
> consider, particularly at such a modest price.  I'm considering purchasing
> one myself, particularly since I dive from a dead (unatended) boat.

I believe that diving from an unattended vessel to be an act of folly second
only to diving solo from such a vessel!  That it can be done, has been done,
and is done regularly without incident is undeniable.  But it's spitting in
the face of the Gods of Diving, and fraught with unnecessary risk that, to
my way of thinking, is inconsistent with good diving practice.

Strike