SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:56:39 -0500
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:01:51 -0600, Mike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

memory).

>Inverted is how I have always known it Jean..... in other words
>doing a shallow dive first then a deeper one.....
>
>Mike

There appeared to be TWO different terms.  What Po Lim stated was
CLEARLY relative to REPETITIVE dives ONLY (as is the way computers
are often programmed to check) whether the max depth of the present
dive is greater than the max depth of the preceding dive -- if so,
it's called "reverse".

The reason the repetitive context is clear is because there is NO
WAY a dive operator could possibly know what Poe Lim did DURING
a dive.  :-)

On the other hand, an INVERTED profile, as stated by JM, applies
to the profile in a SINGLE dive, conventionally is generally
not used in the computer-age terminology on REPETITIVE dives.

So there is a difference, though in the context of Po Lim's
statement, it doesn't matter WHAT you call it -- it could only
be comparing the MAX depth of TWO (or more) repetitive dives,
and not what went on during a single dive.

-- Bob.