SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
"J.M. Vitoux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:47:31 +1200
David Strike wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 20, 2001 6:09 PM, Poe Lim wrote:
>

> > From my only experience diving the GBR on a liveaboard, the operator is
> > fairly flexible if you are demonstrably experienced, and will cut you some
> > slack. There was no mention of max depth (although where we were, you'd be
> > hard pressed to go past 30m), no requirements for snorkels (we asked),
> > although you could not do a reverse profile of more than 3m (from memory).
>
> As you discovered, most operators give allowance for true experience -
> rather than a customer's claim to be experienced.  And as far as reverse
> profiles are concerned - given the fact that most dive locations over the
> course of any one day are selected with safety in mind, (certainly on the
> reefs visited by your operator) - then I don't think that it's any big deal!
> :-)

Originally I thought that a reverse profile referred to a dive
during which the deepest part is reached late during the dive
(for example 20 minutes at 10m then go down for 5 minutes at 30m
before ascent). From the usage I see here and there, this does
not seem the case. So how would you call such a dive profile.
Inverted profile?

Jean-Marc