SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:30:46 -0500
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:50:32 -0500, Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Wot funny things have you witnessed? Oh, other than watching a certain
>somebuddy swim back to the WRONG boat ;-))
>Viv

Hey, that's not hard to do!  Practically the entire BOAT of divers
swam to the wrong boat on that Cayman Aggressor night dive I had
written in reply to your last post.  :-)

That was a dive the Aggressor used to do with the Little Cayman Diver
to attract the Manta named Mollie.  The two boats would tied to
adjacent moorings (about 100 meters apart) and the two groups of
divers would congregate at a nearby sand flat, form a large circle
and point all the dive lights skywards, to attract the plankton.

The plankton, in turn, brought Mollie for her feast.  She would
scoop up the plankton attracted by the dive lights, right in the
middle of circle where the divers knelt to watch, and would do
graceful barrel rolls and other aquatic tricks to maximize her
FOOD intake with the least effort.  :-)   This often went on for
30 minutes or so.  Then the groups and divers break up to finish
the night dive and head back the boat, by looking for the STROBE
in the general direction of the boat.  We KNEW the Cayman Aggressor
had a flashing strobe and didn't know whether the LCD boat had one
or not.  So, when there was only ONE FLASHING STROBE in the
distance ...  :-)

Mollie was a regular visitor to that site in Little Cayman in
1993-95.  That was one of the hightlights of the liveaboard trip
that unfortunately is no longer since there are no longer any
Mantas sighted in the Cayman Islands in recent years.

I guess the episode was FUNNY in a way, to see all the expressions
of divers coming up the ladder AFTER they've been to the wrong
boat.  I missed the funniest part.  We were told a couple of divers
actually went up to the wrong boat and STILL didn't know they were
in the wrong boat.  :-)

Since nearly ALL of my non-Pacific dives are in well-known dive
locations in the Carribean and the Bahamas, frequented by TOURIST
divers, the FUNNY incidents are just too numerous to recall or
describe.

This is a common CLASS of funny sights (fairly often in Cozumel
dive boats):  Divers are handed tanks to gear up (perhaps they are
doing that less and less often), and some diver would put the BCD
on the tank upside-down, and when s/he sensed something wasn't
quite right, would sheepishly look around with an innocent grin.
THAT is funny.

-- Bob.