SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:32:49 +1100
On Friday, March 16, 2001 2:54 PM, Krazy Kiwi wrote - in response to John
Bird:

> I am amazed how many divers take no notice of where the anchor is lying
> when they first enter the water, let alone take some compass bearings off
> it if the viz is crap.

... or use the line as a reference point on descent and choose, instead, to
go into 'free fall' mode.  Something that, especially on deeper dives and
where both surface and seabed are hidden from view, can result in their
being carried long distances by a current and make any return swim following
a compass heading a very hit-and-miss affair.   Needless to say, currents
can still upset the best navigation plans even when starting the dive from
the anchor.  But at least knowing where the anchor actually is makes it
easier to factor in the effects of currents and reduces the margin for
error!  (With my track record in U/W navigation, I can't believe that I just
said that!)  :-)

(snip)

> Or, like what has happened to me twice now ... the Skipper had NO idea
> exactly where the dive spot was .. but he said we were in the vacinity of
> so-in-so. It became an adventure dive .. you could dive to the bottom &
see
> nothing .. you could search for a coral lump .. or you could swim in to
> shore looking for a wall.

The problem with those sort of dives is that when you get back you don't
know where you've been, with the risk that you might find yourself back
there again one day and not know it until you got there!  :-))

Strike