SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:58:53 -0500
David Strike wrote:

Not a word about Bob's waffling on the topic listed in the subject, chosing
rather to initiate a personal attack.  This is the kind of diversion we've
seen and commented on before.  It doesn't work for you either.  I won't be
mentioning it to Bob again, others are doing a good job of it for me.  I'm
pefectly willing to discuss it with you if you care to address the point of
the thread?

While you're thinking about that, I'll address the issues you raised.  It
won't take long.

Lee >The same individuals tried to enlist all of us in their desire
Lee > to censor Bob with much the same results.  Some they tried to reach
Lee > privately, some they tried to reach in public.  All of us who are here
now
Lee > and not there, and perhaps those that continue to frequent both lists,
Lee > declined the invitation.

Strike > Nobody tried to enlist me.

Perhaps they didn't try to enlist you because you never bothered to resist
those that abused the weak, because you did not appear to care enough about
others to spend the few moments it would have taken to do so.  It's even
possible that they didn't consider you influential enough to be worth trying
to enlist.  You were relatively new to the list and had confined yourself to
diving issues rather than list administration ones.  If you'd like to know
why you weren't invited, you'll have to ask them, but I don't suggest you
consider their failure to do so to be a complement.

Lee > 1. Bob considers someone else's attempt to enlist me in their cause to
be
Lee > a criticism of me despite the fact that I not only didn't enlist, but
went
Lee > so far as to report the attempt to Bob and become one of the most
active
Lee > opponents of the censorship attempt.

> Oh, Really?  You didn't make a very good job of it, did you?

Redirecting the discussion again?  The question is not whether I did well or
not, but whether I tried.  Since you asked, however, I'll answer.  First,
however, I'll suggest what you recently said to me, ie that you follow your
own standards for others and don't be lazy.  Go back and read the threads
containing my activities during the period so that you understand what you
are talking about a bit better.  In fact, I and others were doing pretty
well.  There was a vote going on and it was swinging heavily against
censorship.  Nick was backing off on his position and the forces against Bob
and for censorship were in retreat.  Two had already expressed a wish that
they had not entered into the isse in the first place and a third was
beginning to get much quieter.

Then Bob returned from Cozumel.  I specifically asked Bob to let us handle
it because we were prevailing and there was nothing he could do that would
help.  He could only turn the heat up, making things worse.  That's not
Bob's way and I knew it wasn't before I asked.  So, he did what he what he
had to do.  He jumped in to defend himself.  Policy or not, it was not the
most effective option.  The rest is history.

> >It cost me something I valued to stick to my moral principals.

> They appear to have deserted you.

Not only an personal attack, but a clear case of the pot calling the kettle
black.

BTW,  I took your suggestion about reviewing the entire OOA ascent thread
and am ready to make good on my promise to be back.  Sorry it took so long.
I'll include it in a thread under an appropriate subject.  If it does not
turn out as you had hoped, remember, you asked for it.

Lee