SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
Steven Catron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 07:49:29 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Reef Fish" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 22:03
Subject: Re: [SCUBA-SE] Bob is a LIAR, NOT; but Lee IS (with PROOF by Lee)

> #> Recruiting students to one of the Armed forces in the
> #> USA is one.  We recruit students for our universities and graduate
> #> departments.  We recruit faculty members.  College sports programs
> #> recruit good atheletes for their sports, etc., etc.
>
> Not to mention companies recruit managers and high ranking
> officers.  These recruiters are often called "head hunters".

A 'recruiter' is one who recruits or *attempts* to recruit.  To say that
someone was 'recruited' implies that he/she joined a movement/cause/group,
not that he/she was merely and unsuccessfully targeted by same.  In military
and other usage, a 'recruit' is someone who has joined the
organization,etc.; the term does not apply to those who heard the pitch but
did not join.

That's my understanding of the usage, anyway.

SC