SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2001

From:
"J.M. Vitoux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:11:17 +1200
Reef Fish wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:41:24 +1200, J.M. Vitoux <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> < SNIP >
>

> >It is maybe me, being a non-native english speaker etc. ,
>
> >"trying to enlist me" and "asking me to join" doesn't equate to
> >"I was recruited".
> >
> >???
> >
> >Jean-Marc
>
> It was your English.   They mean the SAME.
>
> Example:  Army officers (in the USA) "recruit" students to join
> the Army.  They are "trying to enlist" the students, and they
> are "asking (the students) to join".
>
> I read you post AS IT APPEARED, but felt pointless to point out
> the obvious to a foreigner who already acknowledged his "non-
> native english speaker, etc."   Besides, I had already offered
> to lurk to let scuba talk and Strike surface again -- and THEY
> DID.
>
> But my silence to your post apparently was taken by Lee that you
> had a point, and that obviously buoyed to resurface with WORSE
> behavior.
>
> Read my post asking what word in the English language means
> something that is LOWER than "nadir".  YOu can prepare yourself
> now by looking up that word in your English dictionary.  It
> actually had a French origin, but the meaning in question is
> "the LOWEST point".

I don't need to look up to know that nadir is the opposite of
zenith. However I seem to recall, that those astronomical (?)
terms come from the Arabic not from the French (until the
Renaissance, Arabs were dominant in pretty much all forms of
science).
Come to think of it, one's nadir can be another's zenith. :-)

Regarding the meaning of "recruit" I had to look it up to get
exactly what you meant. Your proposed meaning is one among
others. Furthermore, I'll venture that the meaning you chose is
by far less common than the one I knew (and obviously the one Lee
knows).
It is my belief that you deliberately took this angle knowing
that Lee, and  I suspect most of the readers of this list would
misunderstand it.

Jean-Marc