HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:24:11 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
Mark Bixby wrote:
> Admit it, RIAA, you've lost, and it's time to revamp your current pricing
and
> distribution models.

And yet... somewhere, probably on Wired, I've read that, paradoxically,
artists whose work has been made available for downloading seem to be
enjoying subsequent increased sales! Losing this fight could be the best
thing to happen to the RIAA, although it's hard to be sure whether or not
that would be a good thing...

For once, I will hold my tongue on the socio-policitical commentary, except
to say that I really don't like anyone in this race, unless you can count
the interesting technologies involved, which the RIAA has never seemed to
promote. But I will say that the paradox (of increased sales of one format
by giving away the product in another format) has an almost religious
quality.

I must confess curiosity as to the precise goal and motivations for
"preventing the user from downloading".

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
sometimes you have to lose to win