HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:46:45 -0600
Jon,

Any release, be it a push of plain 7.0, or an express release,  should
include the option of the CDROM.   There are those of us that support
MULTIPLE machines with a central organization.  We cut the SLT's off the
CDROM during the work week and then do the UPDATE on either a third shift
or weekend.  With MPEiX 5.0,  we had nothing but problems when we'd order
the SLT's (including subsys tapes) from HP.  We switched back to using the
CDROM with 5.5 and life became much simpler.  With 6.0 HP introduced new
quirks (a code word that didn't unlock the CD....),  Now with MPEiX 6.5 we
have the CD, but the express releases require a subsys tape.

So life with MPEiX 6.5, means that we've gone backward in time and more
steps are required.   I.E, we cut the custom CSLT for the site, update the
machine, then use the custom express/subsystem tapes to do the next step,
and finally any other additional patches on top of that.     With 6.0 we
could combine several of these steps when we cut the CSLT off the CDROM.

I would prefer to get all releases of software on CDROM!  Forget the old
reel-to-reel tapes we keep getting or the truck loads of boxes with just
one DDS-1 tape in each box.  It would save us time and HP distribution
expenses.

I would like to see one major upgrade each year,   and two of (powerpatch
or express).  But the push and express releases must be available on CDROM.