HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:22:58 -0800
Speaking of FTP, I have always wondered if there was any easy way to FTP a WHOLE BUNCH of files from one system directly onto my HP 3000 all at once.  I always get the error "We don't allow MPE/XL file equates, sorry.  (FTPERR 31)"

TIA,

Art Frank
Manager of Information Systems
OHS Foundation
(503) 220-8320

>>> Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]> 02/22/01 09:49AM >>>
Dave,

> We have in immediate need to send an MPE NM program to a customer who uses
>  Minisoft but not WRQ/Reflection (please note the is no "S" in
"Reflection"!)

>  Can anyone tell us the file transfer options required in the Minisoft
>  terminal emulator to download an NM executable so that it can be restored
>  another MPE system and run?
>
>  All out "experts" in this area are out today.

If the remote HP3000 is "connectable to" (a neologism) by the internet or an
intranet, I've found that FTP works at least as well as do the emulator file
transfer mechanisms (and often up to 20 times as fast).

And if both HP3000s are on the internet, MPE-to-MPE FTP is nothing less than
magnificent.

I pretty much use nothing but FTP any more for our file transfers nowadays.
In that regard, to answer your question, let us presume that you don't have
direct MPE-to-MPE network contact between the two HP3000s. Let us also
presume that you don't even have any terminal emulators, but let us do
presume that both HP3000s are networked (this last condition is critical, of
course, to using FTP).

The following is the scenario necessary to transfer a file called TESTDATA:

     o The first step is to simply perform a LISTF,

:listf testdata,2
ACCOUNT=  QCTERM      GROUP=  PUB

FILENAME  CODE  ------------LOGICAL RECORD-----------  ----SPACE----
                  SIZE  TYP        EOF      LIMIT R/B  SECTORS #X MX

TESTDATA           80B  FA          10       1023   3      256  1  *

     o Now, using the FTP client that comes with every copy of Windows (in
the MS-DOS prompt), type:

c:\windows> ftp 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address is appropriate)
user: mgr.myaccount
password: mypwd
lcd c:\
ascii
get testdata
quit

     o The file testdata is now on your C: drive, without any sort of file
extension or label information, but its there, in ASCII format.

     o Now sign on to the remote HP3000:

c:\windows> ftp 241.562.872.12
user: mgr.theiracct
password: theirpwd
lcd c:\
ascii
put testdata testdata;rec=-80,3,f,ascii;disc=256
quit

     o Voila. The file's now on the remote machine. The parametric
information for the MPE file transfer came from the LISTF command we did
earlier. That information was simply read and tacked onto the back of the FTP
command. This step is necessary for transferring files into MPE namespace.

Wirt Atmar