HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Conrad Whittall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conrad Whittall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:22:57 -0500
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:54:36 +0100, Andreas Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was asked by a colleaugue in Australia:
>
>We currently support a manufacturing application written in POWERHOUSE
>(1Tree) and I am wondering if any-one knows where we may have migrated this
>technology (POWERHOUSE) to a newer toolset and database.
>
>Any ideas / hints ?
>
>TIA, Andreas Schmidt, CSC

If your colleague has access to the source code for the application (i.e. it
isn't a packaged application purchased from a third party vendor) then
he/she might consider simply updating the PowerHouse toolkit currently being
used.

For example, Axiant 4GL 3.0 will enable all of the existing data definitions
and business logic to be imported into this Windows-based IDE for
PowerHouse. The import process will actually generate default Windows forms
for each of the PowerHouse screen programs, based on the existing screen
design specifications, which are immediately usable and can be later
enhanced by the developer. Even at this point the application could be
deployed back to the original server platform and database (using the
existing PowerHouse server engine) to deliver an updated user interface to
the application users without changing any of the business or data access logic.

Axiant also includes facilities to advise on and help automate the changes
necessary within the business and data access logic of an application if you
choose to target a different database or server environment.

Depending on how the application is structured, and although it may take a
little more effort, it is also possible to use the latest version of
PowerHouse (8.29 on MPE/iX) in conjunction with PowerHouse Web to deliver
applications via a web browser. Existing the business logic and data access
logic is reusable, although the flow through the application may require
changes to work in the stateless web environment.

I would suggest that you direct your colleague to the Cognos web site for
more information. Specifically www.cognos.com/powerhouse, from where he/she
will be able to find all of the latest information on Axiant 4GL and
PowerHouse Web, together with a number of White Papers that can be
downloaded (the Axiant Migration Planning Guide is highly recommended). The
current documentation for PowerHouse 4GL, Axiant 4GL and PowerHouse Web can
also be downloaded from this web site.

Best regards,
Conrad

Conrad Whittall
Marketing Manager, Application Development Tools, Cognos Inc.