HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:38:32 -0800
And Furthermore... It appears appropriate to measure the "years"  prior to "the Flood" in lunar cycles.
The examples given in rebuttal were *AFTER* the deluge.

Changed my mind, and unless someone can come up with examples prior to "the Flood", I'm siding with James: It makes more sense.
Of course, it's still all as irrelevant as the original posting which started this unfortunate "Flood" of responses.

On 15 Feb 2001, at 9:26, FAIRCHILD,CRAIG (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:

> I guess that would make sense if you consider that Sarah
> (wife of Abraham), at age 90 (or a converted 7 years and 6
> months) had already gone through menopause and was considered
> in her "old age." Sarah was somewhat shocked when she was told
> that she'd bear a son (Isaac), given her condition. We'd be
> surprised by the gestation period. Sarah was told that she
> would give birth within the next year, meaning a gestation
> period of a month or less. I'm pretty sure that my wife would
> have signed up for this plan, were it available now.
>
> Perhaps, upon further review, Occam's Razor doesn't cut it here?

Of course it does.  What is the simplest explanation of the the
above apparent contradiction:

a.      supernatural interference with physics and biology?

b.      Various texts written by various authors at various times
have a number of inconsistencies in their terms of reference
with respect to one another?

There is no universal guide to the measurement of time in the
bible.  It is quite conceivable that 3500 years ago an author
measured time in lunar cycles, while 500 years later the
sidereal year was the unit of measure.

Consider the experience of the Mars Lander.  At one point it
was reported that the cause of that mishap was that one
group was using inches and pounds while the other was using
metres and grams.  Which was right?

Imagine yourself reading a fragment of the documentation of
that project 1000 years from now and trying to assign meaning
to numbers found in related documents while knowing very
little about either measurement system.  Would you say
about that what you imply above with respect to the bible?
And these events would be co-incidental.  What about
fragments of documents separated in time by centuries?

Regards,
Jim
---   *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:[log in to unmask]  Canada L8E 3C3