HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:59:34 -0800
Doug Becker writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Becker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: COBOL and object-oriented programming

One of the things we did in the early 1970s was to create copy code for
COBOL for both the DATA DIVISION and the PROCEDURE DIVISION in the student
records systems.

It was very effective, and we could develop code very quickly and flawlessly
because the procedures we needed were already debugged.

This was handy too, because we didn't need to call a bunch of confusing
subroutines or have hidden code.

We have never seen the copy of PROCEDURE DIVISION code before or since and
find this curious in spite of the fact that it can be very useful.

Anyone else use copied paragraphs and sections in the PROCEDURE DIVISION?
We use them for all Image, VPlus, and KSAM, and in fact I think most people
that use data division copylibs would probably use procedure division
copylibs.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.