HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 05:01:45 -0600
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Nathan Kraft
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I've been given a demo disk from Millware for their GUI product for the
>3000.  I'm to evaluate it, and I was wondering if anyone else had
>experience with, comments about, or recommendations for this product.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nathan Kraft
>Teachers' Retirement System of Oklahoma

About six years ago, I went to see a client who was largely very happy
with the (HP3000/Image/COBOL) manufacturing system we had sold them, but
wanted to improve on its VPLUS interface.

'All' they wanted was a Windows interface with colour, graphics, and so
on. Oh, and the chance to add drop-down menus, fully populated with live
data taken from the existing databases or other sources, to the existing
applications.

All this, of course, without having to change a line of the existing
COBOL applications, and without losing any of the existing VPLUS
validation either.

It went without saying that given the scope and mission-criticality of
the system, a 'big bang' cutover would be out of the question, so they
had to be able to apply the makeover incrementally. And back it out
quickly if anything went wrong.

Naturally, it would have to run on PCs, and cost peanuts. Preferably, it
would be free :-)

Oh, and by the way, speaking of PCs, they wanted to keep the green
screens on the loading dock (where PCs might have a tendency to walk).

In 1995, my answer had to be 'dream on' :-(

And as they couldn't find what they wanted *on* the HP3000, inevitably,
they started looking *off* the HP3000. And another one bit the dust...

In 2001, my answer would be 'ScreenJet'.

I wish I'd had the disk you're holding right now, back then.

I'd have been able to load it up, and show them that even *without*
doing a stroke of work towards the full GUI they eventually wanted, they
could get a long way towards it, just from the capabilities in the
ScreenJet emulator alone.

Enough, perhaps to have satisfied a less demanding client then and
there.

Oh well. I wish I'd had the computer I've got now back then, as well :-)
--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris