HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
John MacLerran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John MacLerran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:32:39 -0600
Hi Jeff,

I don't have answers for everything, but what I do have is interspersed within.
Enjoy!

"Sohrt, Jeff" wrote:

> I'm doing some stuff with Posix and Apache after looking at Lars's cobol
> example on jazz.  BTW, thanks Lars.
>
> In no particular order, here goes:
>
> 1. Is there an ALTFILE method to put the "rwx" permissions on a file in the
> HFS space?

Can't you go into the shell and do a chmod on the file?

> 2. Lars cobol example says to LINK with ;rl=/lib/libc.a ;posix ;share
>    What does ";posix" and ";share" do?
>
> APACHE (page load is slow)
> 3. Is it normal that a web page load might take more than an appreciable
> amount of time?  I've notice that the page is all there, but the little blue
> bar in MS I Explorer keeps moving accross for a few seconds as if it's
> waiting for something else from the HP.

I've seen this, and I think it's because maybe you created the file as an MPE
type file and not a bytestream file? In my (miniscule) playing with Apache, it
likes bytestream files way better than MPE fixed length files. VI or another
similar editor, or appropriate use of the tobyte posix command usually fixes
things.

> 4. Why might a GIF not load?  All but one appeared.  The one that failed was
> bigger but not too large.
>
> REFLECTION
> I've asked this of WRQ, and sans a reply, I'll put it to the group:
> 5.Can u use Reflection (V7) to transfer a file from the PC to a posix
> directory.  I've specified "./filename" and it doesn't seem to like it, nor
> does it like the fully qualified name with /ACCT/GROUP/whatever.

If you go into the File menu, then to Transfer, you should see a Setup push
button (on 7.0, there may have been a separate Transfer Setup item on the File
menu, I can't remember). In the Setup dialog box, there should be a bunch of
'Preset Configurations' on the Protocol tab. The default selection is 'To
HP3000', I think. There should be a configuration that reads 'To MPE/IX
(POSIX)'  choose that and see if it makes a difference.

> 6. FTP client:  I like WRQ's FTP client but it has the same problem as
> Reflection.  I coerced it to work BY going down the command line of the
> client and entering in "put index.html ./index.html" -- any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> jds

Regards,
John
  John MacLerran
  IT Systems Analyst                       email:   [log in to unmask]
  Idaho State University                             V(208) 282-2954
  http://www.isu.edu/~macljohn                       F(208) 282-3673