HP3000-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:26:18 -0800
Carl McNamee wrote:

> We are muddling through the process of opening up our Image databases to the
> "real world" and have run into one major stumbling block.  How can I gain
> access to an Image database from within perl or php scripts running on the
> box with the database?  Can you issue intrinsic calls from within perl or
> php?  One key factor for us is that the database access must be quick so the
> JDBC driver has been ruled out.

You CAN call intrinsics from Perl if you are willing to write a thin layer to C
code that sits in between Perl and the intrinsics.  Ken Hirsch recently did
this for the CI variable intrinsics:

        http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0102A&L=hp3000-l&P=R7517

For Perl documentation (http://www.perl.com/pub/v/documentation) about these
types of extensions, see:

        http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/pod/perlxstut.html

The above tutorial works as documented on MPE the last time that I tried it.

For TurboImage access, you could implement a similar procedural intrinsic
interface, or you could be more Perl-ish and create an object oriented
interface or better still a DBI::DBD interface:

        http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0102B&L=hp3000-l&P=R1372
        http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0102B&L=hp3000-l&P=R3275

Fame, glory, and gratitude await the person who develops a TurboImage interface
for Perl or PHP or Python etc.  :-)
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...