SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:36:34 +1100
On Monday, February 26, 2001 2:20 AM, Lee Bell wrote:

(snip)
> Doubtless you will win much off-line support for your stance
> but -
> > in the final analysis - what do you hope to achieve?

(snip)
> Defense against the aggressive,
> resistance to the bully and a refusal to allow them to proceed unchecked
are
> sufficient reasons unto themselves.

OK!  Then let me borrow your cloak for a while!  :-)

Lee!  I urge you to re-read the posts that have prompted this thread,
beginning with Kelly's original post pointing to the Palau Agressor press
release and then, in particular, Christian's comments followed by Bob's
response.  Christian made a number of assumptions that weren't supported by
the wording of the original press release.  Bob pointed this out.  You were
the one who then leapt into the discussion and who said:

Lee:
"Once again, you've involved yourself in a discussion of things you know
very
little about.   Once again, you've jumped in to criticize someone else and
gotten it wrong.  Not only is there a standard meaning for for EPIRB it
specifically is the standard meaning for the ACR EPIRB, the one mentioned in
the article.  The meaning is Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon,
exactly like Christian said.  For one who claims to speak only about that
which he knows, you're doing a remarkable job of being wrong."

(snip)
Bob:
>So, perhaps THAT's why the Aggressor used a DIFFERENT
> set of words for the acronym of which they must be aware.

Lee:
"Nobody cares how you see it because you don't know what you are talking
about.  It is mostly likely that the person who wrote the Aggressor
advertisement didn't know what they were talking about either."

That may or may not be true, but it's immaterial in the context of what Bob
was saying.

It seems to me that you've entirely missed the point that Bob was making
before proceeding to be critical of him in such a way as to guarantee an
escalation of hostilities between the two of you.  What then followed is as
predictable as night followiing day.

I have no idea of how gentlemen are supposed to behave, but your opening
remarks directed at Bob certainly seem to lack forethought and appreciation
of the consequences; rather like poking a dog with a stick and then
complaining because you've been bitten!  :-)

Strike