SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:20:33 -0500
David Strike wrote:

> Lee!  You appear to me to be going down a dangerous track with this
current
> crusade.  Doubtless you will win much off-line support for your stance
but -
> in the final analysis - what do you hope to achieve?

I certainly don't hope to achieve support.  Defense against the aggressive,
resistance to the bully and a refusal to allow them to proceed unchecked are
sufficient reasons unto themselves.  I've said it before, I'll say it again,
and again.  All Bob has to do to avoid this is to post in a way that treats
others as he, himself, demands to be treated.  Simple enough, but apparently
beyond his capacity.  Failing this, all he has to do is ignore my comments,
as he has repeatedly stated that he will do.  This too seems to be beyond
his capacity.

> 2. Have Bob banned from this list?

Absolutely not.  I do not now support and have never supported this kind of
censorship.  I have no more right to even hope for such an event than others
had in Scuba-L.  Lest we forget, most of us, including me, are here
specifically because we were unwilling to tolerate such censorship,
specifically with Bob as the primary target.  I have not changed my stance
on that subject one bit.  It is doubtful that I ever will.  Whether I like
the way Bob treats others, whether I like his arrogance and self promotion
or not, I have and, if necessary, will again stand shoulder to shoulder with
Bob and anyone else to combat this far greater evil.

> 3. Have the list moderated?

Not my choice either.  I happen to be a member of a moderated list, a
relatively new one, which I am surprised to find is working well.  I have my
doubts on whether it will for long.

> accept that you will, from time to time, continue to squabble.

A most likely outcome.  Bob does not seem to be able to ignore my posts,
despite the fact that he has said he will.  I have chosen not to ignore
those of his that fit a pattern I find most obnoxious and have warned him
that I won't.

Earlier you said that you haven't seen a change in Bob's postings over the
years.  I take you at your word.  Understand, however, that many people have
seen a rather marked change in his style and approach to others since his
retirement.  Understand also, that I would welcome Bob's return to his pre
retirement style.  He wasn't the nicest person on the Net then either, but
he most a lot more honest with himself and others, regarding his knowledge
and in differentiating between fact and his opinion.  I kind of valued his
somewhat abrasive counterpoint.  It added spice, controversy and the kind of
thinking that results in progress.  It recognized that we will all disagree
on occasion, but that our disagreement doesn't make anyone stupid, an idiot,
clueless or ignorant or a lier, at least it didn't until the last year or
so.

Lee