SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:37:54 +1100
On Sunday, February 25, 2001 12:19 PM, Mike wrote:

> Anyone else going diving tomorrow?

G'Day, Mike!
The weather's been so good this summer that Julian and I planned to play
hookey and go for a boat dive last Thursday.  Needless to say on Tuesday and
Wednesday a southerly blow lifted the seas and we canned it!  But Saturday
at Shelly Beach saw ideal conditions.  30 plus metres vis, seadragons, Well,
one!); a couple of wobbegongs; giant cuttlefish, rays; vast schools of
yellowtail, seapike, ladder-finned pomfrets and trevally; friendly grouper;
roughy's; long-finned bannerfish, (similar to Moorish idols); damsels and
wrasse.

It was so good that Sylvia and I went for a pre-breakfast snorkel there this
morning.  A large school of tiny bait fish were being stalked by three
seperate schools of squid.  It's always a delight to see squid in motion.
They have to be one of the most graceful and streamlined of sea critters.

>I have the pleasure of diving a
> deep, very cold, and very old quarry for the purpose of removing
> several vehicles wanted by the Federal Government for some
> reason or another. They have neglected to inform us of the reason.

Rather you than me!  :-)

> I do get the opportunity to check out a new drysuit by USIA. Looks
> like a pretty nice suit. It's a bilam shell suit. They don't as a
> general rule offer a self donning suit, which so far, is the only
> drawback that I see to the suit.

I look forward to reading about that.  :-)

>I'll let ya know if I happen to find
> one of Nessie's cousins in the bowels of the pit..... :-)

Make sure that you secure the soft drink and snack franchise for the quarry
area before you let on that you've discovered something mysterious!  :-)

Strike