SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:13:24 +1100
On Wednesday, February 21, 2001 12:57 PM, Lee Bell wrote:

> Once again, you've involved yourself in a discussion of things you know
very
> little about.   Once again, you've jumped in to criticize someone else and
> gotten it wrong.  Not only is there a standard meaning for for EPIRB it
> specifically is the standard meaning for the ACR EPIRB, the one mentioned
in
> the article.  The meaning is Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon,
> exactly like Christian said.

I'm a-wondering why folks are getting their knickers in a knot about the
meaning of an acronym.  It seems to me that providing the user knows - in
this case - the instrument's intended purpose then that's all that matters.
Isn't it?  Old submariners might be criticised for referring to SONAR as
ASDIC, but it doesn't change the fact that the equipment referred to
performs the same function! :-)

A rose by any other name ... etc.  :-)

Strike