SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:28:05 -0500
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:25:38 -0500, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>
>> > my personal rule is that if I can walk on it, I dont dive in it.
>> > That could apply to some rivers in the rust belt as well as to
>> > ice.
>>
>> This is not necessarily a bad rule either. Unfortunately around
>> here, I am sometimes required to break the crust off the surface of
>> the river and slide beneath. It's actually better in the dead of
>> winter. :-)
>
>Well, you're downstream from our sewage treatment plant; you should
>expect a little crust.

Have we gone a full circle and come to the origin of how CRUSTy got
his name?  <BWG>

> Not to mention a nuke plant or two in between.

We have plenty of those in my neck of the woods in Duke Power country
in SC.  Folks come from all over the state to dive in the Hot Hole
near Devil's Fork, where the nuclear plant provides the WARM water
in the Hot Hole.  :-)   Did my ADVANCED cert there.  All I could
remember was that in the navigational part of doing a simple SQUARE
pattern, N, E, S, W to get back to the starting point -- by the
second leg E, I was already 50 yards BELOW the starting point, blown
by the hot water current.

That was when I start going to Couzmel and dive the warm current
there instead.  :-)))

>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Any chance of a mini-mini-NED-dinner to discuss this and other
BS when Sue gets here tomorrow?  :-)

-- Bob.