HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:45:53 -0500
Wirt pens:
> If you look at where all of the Silicon Valleys are, they're
> smack in the
> middle of the most liberal, most highly educated populations
> in the United
> States.

Coincidentally, on a different newsgroup (no, I really don't have time for
two, but who needs sleep anyway?) we got into a discussion on the terms
liberal and conservative.  Briefly, what we found was there is the classical
liberal and a political liberal.  The classical liberal believes liberty,
free thinking and open minded, as in a Liberal Arts education.  The
political liberal has taken on a sometimes contradictory meaning.  Political
liberals tend to use government tools like taxation, political correctness
and regulation to shape and mold society.  Unfortunately, the regulators and
those who write tax law can become captive to the very groups which they are
suppose protect us against.  So it would be no wonder that businesses
wouldn't want to move to another state.  Why would they want to go somewhere
else and pay for new government employees when the ones they have already
paid for are perfectly fine?  :-o

Mark Wonsil