HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Cecile Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:04:31 EST
In a message dated 1/22/01 5:18:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< (In the U.S.) is there anywhere that a separate school
 is levied or are they apportioned out of local or
 state property taxes?  I don't think you'll ever be
 rid of property taxes.

I live in the U.S., and my local property tax bill comes in two completely
separate bills.  One is municipal tax and one is school tax.  The rates
are different; the school tax rate is much higher.
My local income tax is one form, but clearly states that 50% is municipal
and 50% is school tax.

Not all cities break out the taxes this way, even in the same state, and it
may not be a very common practice for all I know.

Cecile Chi