HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:41:08 -0800
I swore I would not get into these kinds of arguments, but ...

It is not hyperbole to claim that our tradition of public education made our
country the world power it is today. In any society that expects to flourish
and move forward, it is the responsibility of one generation to educate the
following generation. I have no children, yet have been paying for the K
through 12 public schools directly through my property taxes for 25 years.
Yes, I want accountability. Yes, I want to know that my money is being
wisely spent. No, I do not happen to think that the property tax is the best
way to support public education. Yes, I think our public schools have, on
the average, slipped.

But, I do not begrudge one dime I've contributed to public education and
fully expect to continue supporting public education because it is our
shared responsibility in this great country to do so.

John Burke