HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:30:42 EST
I wrote earlier,

> If we simply knew which OCX was the complainant -- and the nature of the
>  complaint -- it would be a great deal easier to get these very few PC's up
>  and working. Ideally, we'll have this new version available for download
>  tomorrow.

We now have an error-reporting version of QCTerm up on the website. It won't
fix the problems you're having -- if you're getting this screen:

     QCTerm Error
     Application-defined or object-define error

     [372: DisplayTerminal]

but it will tell you precisely what's causing the problem now, in this manner:

   QCTerm Error.
   Failed to load control 'MSComm' from MSCOMM32.OCX. Your
   Version of MSCOMM32.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you
   Are using the version of the control that was provided with your
   Application.
   [372: Qcalc.Form_load, QCTerm]

If you get this kind of screen, do the following if you don't mind:

    from Start, Run or the command line, type: regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx

using whatever OCX is mentioned in your specific error message -- and then
try QCTerm again. If that doesn't work, find the offending OCX in either your
windows/system folder, change the extension of the file from OCX to BAK
(backup copy), and then cntrl+X (cut) and paste the proper version of the OCX
that is in the AICS folder and paste it into your systems folder. Then
perform the regsvr32 command again.

So far, that has always corrected the problem among all that have tried it
and reported back.

Once we understand the innards of the OCX registration process a little
better, we'll write an autoloader program that will do all of this for you
completely transparently.

Things seem to have gotten a little more complicated for 32-bit applications
than they were for 16-bit, and I apologize that we didn't recognize that
complexification beforehand.

Wirt Atmar