HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:24:21 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
Assuming the situation that I described, a 3GL programmer or MPE admin in an
HP 3000 shop who will for whatever reasons soon no longer be working on the
3000 anymore, and, assuming some amount of time for "professional
development", what technologies or skills, which are available on MPE, would
you recommend said person to spend time learning?

My assumption here is that said person will have some opportunity with their
current company to work with other, "newer", "hotter" technologies. Or, that
said person will want to move on to another company, where he will have the
opportunity either to use these additional technologies on the 3000, or will
be working on some other platform, but may have the opportunity to later
resume similar work on the 3000. IOW, they might become a DBA for an RDBMS
requiring SQL skills, or might be involved in a web development involving
any of several technologies from the presentation side to the server side,
or might be asked to admin some other platform (stress-balls on stand-by).

And yes, while I am asking this question in part for myself, wanting to
maximize my remaining weeks with my beloved 3000s, I am not only asking for
myself (you know who you are ;-) ). Nor I have given notice with CGI or
anything like that. Should that day come, in keeping with general list
tradition, I will post an appropriate announcement. OTOH, I would like to
publicly thank those who I have had contact with off list, who have made me
aware of the world outside my cubicle and within the Boston metro area, and
have offered me career advice. You know who you are as well, and I thank
you. Maybe some of that wisdom can be shared here.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
I know that "It depends", but think it is worth discussing what it depends
on,
and what one does with the details