HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:45:25 -0800
"Emerson, Tom # El Monte" wrote:

> The exit function terminates the calling process.  The parameter status
> is returned to the MPE/iX command interpreter using the CJCW job control
> word.  By convention, a status value of zero (0) indicates EXIT_SUCCESS,
> and a value of one (1) indicates EXIT_FAILURE. You may establish
> additional return values as required.

i fully aware that ping (plus the programs in hpbin) returns cjcw.  (btw -- can
anyone comment on that last sentence in the above quote?)  it's such a coarse
thing though.  i worked/i didn't work.  well, gee, that's nice.  like i said,
we're spoiled by mpe.  we get things like 'hpcierr' for the native mpe stuff
that tells us all sorts of things!  if wishes were horse, i'd love to see ping
 - be run able by more (all?) logon types
 - return meaningful somethings, whether 'they' are ci variables or jcw's
(btw, the first one i believe is an artificial restriction being imposed....and
the second is another one of those snowball's chance things.)

do i have any hopes of seeing the hpbin programs act more like native mpe?  no
and it's just not realistic.  that's pretty generic code and needs to play to
the lowest common denominator.            - d

-
Donna Garverick              | PROGRAM, tr. v., An activity similar
Longs Drug Stores            | to banging one's head against a wall,
925.210.6631                 | but with fewer opportunities for
[log in to unmask]         | reward.