HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:16:40 EST
Dave writes:

> >    And remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people
>  > aren't really out to get you!!
>
>  Lemma (1) Sometimes, because you are paranoid, people are out to get you.

Just as a note explaining why we're getting these rather odd messages from a
number of posters we've never seen before, it's occurring because the
original poster of the note cross-posted his article to several hp-related
newsgroups explaining his upset at his HP Pavilion dialing back out onto the
internet and transferring some unknown amount of information.

As a consequence, every poster in every newsgroup who responds using a
newsgroup feed sends his response to every cross-posted newsgroup, one of
which just happens to be comp.sys.hp.mpe -- which in turn gets relayed to
HP3000-L.

However, the reverse won't be true. If you respond to these messages
beginning from HP3000-L, your posting will get relayed only to
comp.sys.hp.mpe, not to all of the other newsgroups that were attached to the
original posting (that list of cross-posted newsgroups gets lost in the
translation), thus quite likely the author of the posting you're responding
to probably won't see your response if he began from another newsgroup.

Indeed, it's quite likely that the original poster has not benefitted at all
from the assembled wisdom of this group, not having ever seen any of the
poster's email address as a cc: so that he would get it directly).

However, none of this negates the severity of the problem, if the condition
he and we suspect is true.

Wirt Atmar