HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:43:48 -0800
The 960 is a good, reliable machine, so your reluctance to replace it is
understandable.  The primary reasons for upgrading, it seems, relate to its
age.  Newer machines are much more powerful and compact and consume less
floor space, power, and cooling capacity.  The also support much larger
amounts of memory, which is important with MPE.  Maintenance agreement
prices also reflect the reduced component count and greater parts
availability for the newer machines.  Although a significant investment
would be required to upgrade, the savings in maintenance costs may offset a
good portion of that expense, especially if you compare monthly maintenance
charges to monthly depreciation.  Also, several interfaces, such as
100Base-T and fast/wide SCSI are not available for the 960.

Perhaps the most compelling reason to upgrade is the fact that there will
soon be no supported version of the operating system that can run on that
machine, and the hardware itself is either now or soon to be unsupported.
Another is the ease of upgrading, as your capacity requirements increase.
Upgrade kits (to convert a 960 to a 980) are no longer available from HP,
though they may be on the used equipment market, and getting peripherals for
the 960 will grow in difficulty.  The newer machines all support various
multiple-processor configurations, which have advantages beyond the easy
upgrade path.  For example, you don't see the situation where some high
priority runaway process hangs your entire machine.  At worst, such a
process can only use up one processor, so if you have more than one
processor, you can still get logged on and kill the offending process.

One word of warning:  when you investigate the cost of upgrading, the
greatest expense is likely to be the cost of upgrading the licenses on
third-party software.  Be sure to get those figures and include them in your
evaluation.