HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:15:32 -0800
Ken Hirsch wrote:

> I have just started using the OpenSSL package on the HP3000.  It is open
> source, free, and, since the patent expired, legal!  It compiles without
> problems on the HP3000.
>
> Despite the name, there's a lot more than SSL.  I use it to create S/MIME
> files with 128-bit encryption.  It supports all the major ciphers.

OpenSSL tops out at 168-bit encryption IIRC.  The openssl command line utility
can be used to encrypt or decrypt individual files.

You'll need to compile OpenSSL from source because I'm not aware of anybody
providing an MPE binary distribution.  It's not something I want to do from
bixby.org due to US crypto export regulations.  However, if some non-US site
wanted to make a binary distribution available for MPE, I'd be willing to help
you with the build process.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...